5 Things To Do To Be Safe This Thanksgiving!

Photo by Element5 Digital on Pexels.com

SOURCE: CALFIRE

Each year during the holiday season fires injure 2,000 people in the U.S. and cause over $500 million dollars in damage. By following these holiday safety tips you can help keep your family and home firesafe this holiday season:

Candles:
Candles are beautiful, popular, and dangerous. Do not leave
burning candles unattended, or place them near flammable
materials. Make sure they are in a secure place where children
and pets won’t knock them over. Put candles in a non-tip candleholder before you light them. Make sure all candles are extinguished before you leave
the home or office, and before going to bed. The most common area of origin for
candle fires is the bedroom, then living rooms, bathrooms and the kitchen.

Lights:
Make sure that all indoor and outdoor holiday lights bear the mark of an independent
testing laboratory. Throw away any set with cracked lights, frayed cords, or loose or
damaged sockets. Don’t overload electrical outlets or run extension cords under carpets, across doorways, or near heaters. Be sure extension cords aren’t pinched behind
or under furniture, and unplug all decorative lights before leaving your home or going
to bed.

Never run extension cords across lawns, driveways, or traffic areas. Power for all
outdoor lighting should be supplied by permanent weatherproof wiring installed by a
professional electrician.

Kitchen:
During the holidays much time is spent cooking, so it’s critical to take precautions
in the kitchen. Be sure to keep pot handles and electrical appliance cords out of the
reach of children. Put a lid on a pot or pan to extinguish a food or grease fire, and in
the event of an oven fire, turn off the heat and close the oven door.

Fireplaces:
Before using your fireplace, have your chimney inspected by a professional for proper
installation, cracks, blockages (bird nests), leaks, or creosote build up. Creosote is a
chemical substance that forms when wood burns, accumulates in chimneys and can
cause a chimney fire if not removed. Be sure to open the flue for adequate ventilation
when using the fireplace. Always use a fire screen, and burn only material appropriate for fireplaces. Never burn trash or paper in a fireplace. Burning paper can float up
your chimney and onto your roof or onto your neighbors’ roof and can cause a fire.
Remove ashes from the fireplace in a metal container and store them somewhere
outside your home.

Be Prepared!
Test all smoke detectors in the house to make sure that they are in proper working
order, and be sure to install fresh batteries every six months. Be sure that all family members know how to call the fire department, and make an escape plan so that
everyone knows what to do in the event of an emergency.

#. #. #.

What do you think about this?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.