Nestled in Northern California between Redding and Mount Shasta, the town of McCloud is not short of beauty any time of the year. The rivers, waterfalls, and forest surrounding this small town are a hiker’s destination. But when the Holiday season hits, McCloud, often covered in snow, transforms into Christmas wanderlust. It is one of the best towns for Christmas in California.
This year, the community and the McCloud Chamber of Commerce have packaged the celebrations as a “Winter Fest,” to take place from December 3rd through the 18th.
For me, the highlight is what they do for Victorian Christmas. I have participated in the past, and it is an occasion to be enjoyed by Children and adults.
Below is the schedule for this year’s Victorian Christmas, as per the Chamber’s website:
Victorian Christmas- December 10th | 11 AM – 7:30 PM
- Yuletide Bazaar ~ Merchants and Vendors along Main Street (weather permitting) ~ 10AM – 4PM
** Vendors will be moved upstairs, inside the mercantile, if we predict bad weather.
- Victorian Tea ~ Hosted by the McCloud Hotel. Register by calling 530-964-2822
Location: 408 Main St. McCloud, CA 96057
- House & Church Tours 11-3PM ~ Enjoy 12 different McCloud locations dressed up in their holiday decor! Download your tour map HERE (soon).
- McCloud Community Christmas Choir~ Listen to Christmas music by local singers. 2 performances at local churches and Inn tours throughout the day.
- Horse & Carriage Rides ~ Pick up by the McCloud Hotel.
- Mexican Dinner 4-6PM ~ Sponsored by the McCloud Community Resource Center, enjoy an $18 tamale dinner w/ dessert by local caterer Letty’s Kitchen. $10 enchilada plate for children available. For ToGo orders, contact Eileen at 530-227-8829
- Children’s Christmas Party~ Wrap up your evening with a fun and exciting Children’s Christmas Party at the Squaw Valley Riding Club! Santa will make his appearance, play games, do crafts, and grab a bite to eat! Location: Squaw Valley Riding Club- 500 CA-89, McCloud CA. This event is OPEN to the public.
- Christmas Light Contest~ Light up McCloud this holiday season! Brought to you by the Squaw Valley Riding Club, we encourage all locals to participate in this highly anticipated yearly contest! $250 is up for grabs, and ALL entries have a chance to win a cord of firewood! Enter online at www.squawvalleyridingclub.com
HOW TO GET THERE:
Interstate 5 is your best bet. From San Francisco, it may take about 4.5 hours. Once on I-5 North, you’ll pass Redding and Dunsmuir. Before Mount Shasta, you’ll encounter State Route 89. Make a right, and within a few miles, you’ll find beautiful McCloud. The town has a couple of very nice hotels and several Airbnb sites. The town’s people are friendly and really into celebrating Christmas. Be ready to be surprised!
If you like this story, please subscribe.